Developing an Excellent Attitude in a World of Negative People
“A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.” Herm Albright
I’m not usually a negative person. I usually love looking at life with a positive spin and being with people who are full of positive energy. Positivity breeds positivity. It can be contagious and it’s fun to be around!
Unfortunately negativity also breeds negativity. And it seems that lately people are getting crankier and more negative by the day. I sense this negative energy everywhere I go lately and I’m beginning to feel that I may be catching it.
During a recent presentation I watched myself slip over to the dark side of negativity. Not only did I become negative, I let someone else’s negativity take up space in my brain.
I sat in a negative space for most of the day after the presentation. I let the negative energy take root and I was off and running. I was sharing the experience with a friend later in the day and she called me on the carpet. She told me my negativity had nothing to do with anyone else. That only I can choose to let in the crap. And she was right I had a choice. Would I let one negative experience, a bad week or other people steal my joy. Or would I choose to have a positive attitude no matter what.
This experience was a good reminder to me that I have to be diligent about what I allow myself to think about and focus on.
Negativity will always be there. It doesn’t matter what the economy is like, how much money you have or who likes you – you can always find something to be negative about. The choice is yours. And it’s a choice you must make every day. What will you choose to focus on today?
Below are some tips to help you stay out of negativity.
- Surround yourself with positive people. Positive people make us feel good just by being in the presence and they will often call us on the carpet for negative thinking.
- Take your ‘positivity’ temperature regularly. Check in with yourself regularly to see how you are feeling and what you are spending your time thinking about.
- When possible, say no to energy draining events and projects. Saying ‘yes’ when we really want to say ‘no’ drains our energy. Be careful what you commit to.
- Let go of things that you cannot control. You cannot change the world, everyone will not like you and things will happen that are out of your control. If it isn’t about you – let it go.
- Fuel your mind every day. Take time every day to read inspirational material or be with inspiring people.
- Limit the negative input. Turn off the TV, say goodbye to a negative caller and limit the amount of negative news you take in each day.
- Choose joy! Life should not be so serious all the time. Business should not be such hard work. Having fun and letting joy in our lives will make us more excellent in everything we do.