Get Out of Your Comfort Zone
We all know we need to get out of our comfort zone but that doesn’t mean we actually DO
something about it. We hear quotes like this one and say ‘Yea I know I need to do it.” And
that’s where we stop. We may ‘want’ to or ‘mean’ to get out but we’re comfortable. It’s easy
to keep doing what we’re doing. But in the long run it won’t pay off. To truly LIVE LIFE
we have to get off the big comfy couch.
Here are some simple things you can do to start the process of moving out of your comfort zone:
1. Raise your hand. The next time someone asks for a volunteer, or asks a question – raise
2. Learn a new skill. Take a class on something you know nothing about. Being a beginner is
challenging. We will be forced to ask questions, work hard and make mistakes.
3. Play with a child. Get down on the floor and play – really PLAY. If we can truly let go and be
in the moment, we let our guard down and often we slip out of our comfort zone without knowing it.
4. Challenge yourself physically. If you’re a couch potato – walk a mile. If you’re a runner –
swim a mile. If you hike – try yoga. Do something different and push yourself.
5. Invite someone you admire to coffee. Reach out to someone you don’t know
and ask them to coffee.
6. Get a mentor or hire a coach. Find someone that will push you and hold your feet
to the fire.
7. Do the opposite. If you normally say yes – try saying no. If you normally walk slow –
try walking fast.
8. Give yourself a break. Stop DOING and try just BEING. This is often the most
uncomfortable place for overachievers.
9. Listen. Really listen to the things that are speaking to you. What does you gut say
you should do. Listen to it and then try it.
10. Take little baby steps. We don’t need to start by jumping out of a plane.
We start by doing one small thing we wouldn’t normally do.